The condition of my skin started to improve a lot the year before I started college. I strongly believe that it has to do with the fact that I started wearing less makeup and started to transition to more natural products and home remedies. Each year I feel like I keep getting more knowledgeable and I have started to love the way my skin is improving. Honestly, it’s hard to always keep up with this as a mom. I have been trying to make this routine a priority. I take advantage of my husband’s day off to do the mask.
This website has been great help for me ever since I have been trying to have a more non-toxic skincare routine https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ .
- Turmeric mask! My grandmother recommended turmeric mask to me. Honestly, at first I didn’t think it would help me that much but it helped tremendously. My acne scars were so much less visible. The key is being consistent. You have to keep up with this to see the results. What I used was about 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour or gram flour), and enough honey to make this into a paste. You can play around with the quantity. I didn’t use any exact measurement. Just make sure it’s not too runny. Also, wear an old t-shirt when you apply this mask because turmeric will stain. There are so many different turmeric mask recipes online too. You can see what works best for you. I’ve now become obsessed with everything turmeric.
- Natural soap bars- I use separate soap bars for my face with all natural ingredients instead of the more popular face washes. I’ve tried everything from Shea Moisture to homemade soaps from the farmer’s market. I’ve seen my skin condition improve a lot with these. I try to wash my face twice a day .
- Toner with pure witch hazel or rose water toner– I always try to use toner on my skin twice a day after washing my face. I love the way it makes my skin feel.
- DIY Scrub– I make a homemade scrub with sugar, green tea, alove vera and tea tree oil. I use the recipe from http://sweetsimpleliving.com/index.php/2015/09/01/aloe-green-tea-face-scrub/. I try to use this at least once a week to exfoliate my skin. I personally like it better than the store bought scrubs. I can really feel the dead skin coming off. There are so many other types of homemade scrubs out there. I also like the ones where coffee is used.
- Moroccan Clay Mask- I discovered Rhassoul Clay, also known as Moroccan clay, while I was in Morocco. I use the NOW red Moroccan clay powder brand about once a week ( when I am not using the turmeric mask). It makes my skin look and feel amazing.
- Natural makeup- I’ve started trying to buy non-toxic makeup only. This has been challenging but luckily more mainstream brands are starting to become more,”natural minded. This is where https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ really helps. Personally, I prefer Claudia Nour cosmetics from https://claudianour.com/. She makes halal, non-toxic, and ethical cosmetics. I have been so happy with everything that I ordered from her. I messaged her on Instagram and she spent a long time helping me find the right shades for me.She is such a sweet and nice person to talk to as well.
- Moisturizer- I personally haven’t found a moisturizer that I am crazy about. I am using an the Andalou brand facial lotion that I found at Marshalls. Its pretty decent.
My routine is basically this..
- wash face twice daily
- tone twice daily after washing
- moisturize after toning twice a day
- use mask once a week
- exfoliate once a week
- use natural makeup
- always make sure to remove all makeup